Thursday, July 1, 2010

My Favorite Recipe For Baked Beans


I know, everyone has their own baked bean recipe that they use for every summer cookout. But after the millionth time of preparing this dish don't you start thinking about other baked bean recipes out there? What if there's something better? Something that puts your baked bean recipe to shame?

I admit, I started looking outside my recipe box for a different take on baked beans a few months ago. I came across a post from an uber food blogger where she raved about a recipe for baked beans, comparing them to "a prayer...a song." And she had over 300 comments to back her up, too. They must be good, right?

Well, yes, they were good but they just didn't measure up to my old familiar, tried and true, sweet and savory, perfect liquid to bean consistency, I'm-sorry-I-ever-doubted-you baked beans.

Here's my favorite recipe for baked beans:

64 oz pork and beans
1 cup ketchup
4 tsp Worcestshire
1/4 cup mustard
1/2 cup molasses
1/2 cup brown sugar
onion, chopped
6 slices bacon, cut into fourths

Combine first 7 ingredients and pour into a large baking dish. Top with bacon. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

6 comments:

  1. Well those sound really good. I must admit I rarely do more than open a can and bake, I'm tempted to get crazy and make your recipe!
    Thanks for sharing Ali.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should comment 300 times how delicious this recipe is because these are seriously that good.

    I cook some of the bacon and add it into the bean mixture before baking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i could eat 72 plates of those baked beans before i could swallow i small bowl of taco soup

    ReplyDelete
  4. and hi there ole angie baby, now that you have commented 300 times on the recipe, i will eat another 100 plates of beans

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love baked beans and will have to try this, the out of the can just isn't cutting it

    ReplyDelete
  6. you're good, i just buy a can! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!