Friday, May 16, 2008

Short And Long

Today's poem is the shortest poem EVER! Because I'm half asleep. And because I have writer's block. And because Friday mornings have become Blueberry Muffin Day and I need to go preheat the oven. So here you go, it's written by the American poet Strickland Gillilan and it's called Lines on the Antiquity of Microbes. It's also known as Fleas.

Adam
Had 'em.

That's it. Maybe next Friday's poem will be Nikhil Parekh's Only as Life. Or maybe not. It's 77 pages long and has the distinction of being the longest poem ever. Oops, I mean, EVER!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

3 comments:

  1. I have to say that I like that poem. :) And...I would really love a blueberry muffin day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adam
    Had 'em.

    I had always thought that Ogden Nash had written those lines (a poem called "Fleas") but I quickly googled them and found some Web sites attributing them to Mr. Gillilan and some to Mr. Nash.

    When I was in high school my English teacher assigned a lengthy essay about a poem of our choice. I chose "Fleas" (which, I swear, I found in a book of poems by Nash, but maybe it was just a magazine or newspaper article that misattributed it to Nash instead of Gillilan) and mischeviously went on for a few hundred words of deeply piled BS. My teacher's comments consisted of the following poem:

    Woman's View of Fleas

    Eve
    Grieved

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, some attribute that poem to Shel Silverstein but I'm still going with Gillilan. And then there are some that say Muhammad Ali's "Me, Wheee!" is the shortest poem ever.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!