Thursday, December 18, 2008

Egg Nog Pound Cake

Okay, hold on to your Santa hats, I have a confession.

I don't like egg nog. I don't know why because cream AND sugar? Together? What's not to like about that? Maybe it's the texture. It's like a milkshake that's been left out for awhile. Or maybe the idea of drinking raw eggs gives me the willies. I just don't like it.

My husband, WD, on the other hand, LOVES it. So I knew just what kind of cake to fix for his birthday earlier this week. An Egg Nog Pound Cake. The whole family enjoyed this cake. Even my 6 year old, the pickiest eater in the world. WD thought that the cake itself didn't have a very strong egg nog flavor so I made an egg nog glaze to pour over it. And the birthday boy was happy. Despite the 'Over the Hill' candle I put on top of the cake.

Egg Nog Pound Cake

1 box yellow cake mix
1 small package instant vanilla pudding mix
3/4 cup egg nog
3/4 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup powdered sugar (for glaze)
1/4-1/2 cup egg nog (for glaze)

Combine first 4 ingredients; mix on low speed in mixer until moistened. Add eggs and nutmeg. Beat for 4 minutes on high speed. Pour into a greased and floured bundt pan or tube pan. Bake at 350 F. for 40 to 45 minutes until a toothpick insterted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pan. Cool completely and sprinkle with powdered sugar or drizzle with an egg nog glaze.


Stumble Upon Toolbar

16 comments:

  1. oooo..hubby will love that! I hate egg nog, he loves it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. did you know you missed eggnog day which was the first day of the month on a monday night

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh gosh, I'm with you - I can't stand Egg Nog - YUCK!!!

    However, that cakes looks pretty good!! I would try a piece! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am right there with you I can't bring myself to like egg nog! but my family LOVES it. I will be trying this out thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds yummy. I have a recipe for an Egg Nog Custard Pie that is pretty good with reallt whipped cream. Thanks for sharing, Ali.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow that looks and sounds really good. I am not much of a baker but I may just try it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with you on the egg nog. Glad your family liked the cake, though...it looks yummy! (Visiting via SITS...you're the commenter before me today!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. now that is a creative way to use Egg Nogg!~

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh damn! That looks AWESOME! I bet even I could make that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks delish. And I LOVE eggnog so this could be dangerous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. More like 29 pound egg nog 29 pound cake

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh yum, now I am hungry. I am just going to move in w/ you since you always have such yummy stuff, you make my cooking look really boring (today I had spagettios for lunch)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Ali, what have you done to me?!?
    (Or rather, to my hips and thighs)
    This looks/sounds too good to pass up.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!