Friday, May 15, 2009

"Respect. Honor. Remember."


It's still Friday, isn't it? I've been meaning to post this edition of Poetry Friday all day but then I got sucked in by a couple of Lifetime movies and before I knew it, the whole day was gone. But I wanted to make sure that everyone knew that this week has been National Police Week. You still have one more day to show your support by tying a blue ribbon around the antenna of your car or replacing your porch light with a blue lightbulb. But if you really want to show your support for police officers you can come over and wash my husband's uniforms and cook him dinner. I--I mean he--would really appreciate that.


And maybe you could mow the yard, too? That would be really nice.

A Nation's Strength by Ralph Waldo Emerson

What makes a nation's pillars high
And it's foundations strong?
What makes it mighty to defy
The foes that round it throng?


It is not gold. Its kingdoms grand
Go down in battle shock;
Its shafts are laid on sinking sand,
Not on abiding rock.


Is it the sword? Ask the red dust
Of empires passed away;
The blood has turned their stones to rust,
Their glory to decay.


And is it pride? Ah, that bright crown
Has seemed to nations sweet;
But God has struck its luster down
In ashes at his feet.


Not gold but only men can make
A people great and strong;
Men who for truth and honor's sake
Stand fast and suffer long.


Brave men who work while others sleep,
Who dare while others fly...
They build a nation's pillars deep
And lift them to the sky.


Law Enforcement Memorial Service 2009

Stumble Upon Toolbar

5 comments:

  1. Wow! My best friend's husband is a NYC police officer. I am sure he'd appreciate this poem! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am afraid i don't like policemen. in our small town of 1200, we have seventeen policemen and they all during a day sit under an apple tree near my house waiting for DOG AT LARGE...i actusally got a summonds or supena that said, find this man day or night , no effort is too small and bring him to me judge joe birenholt...well i had har rock labor to work off my fine....moving a complete library{all the books} across one street and still they are after me....i am serious 6am or 9am or 11am or 12noon or 1 in the afternoon or 3 in the afternoon or dinner time 6 at night or even midnight ...all the cat owners keep reporting me and my dog is kenneled and secure, but for a chance to get me for dog at large they will camp by my house...love the putz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great poem Ali............you can tell your husband I said thanks for all the great work. It can be a thankless job at times.
    Have a wonderful weekend, sorry I can't help with those uniforms right now hon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ali, thanks for stopping by my blog on my SITS day! Love your blog, and this post is great too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!