Friday, May 29, 2009

Welcome


Earlier this month, my husband's step-mom became a U.S. citizen (congratulations Judy!). I was so glad I was able to attend the Naturalization ceremony. I couldn't help but get a little emotional as I watched over 140 people from the Phillipines, Uganda, Russia, India, Mexico, Sweden, and many other countries take that final step in their long journey to citizenship. It made me very proud to be an American. And where does a native New Zealander go to celebrate this significant event in her life? To Cracker Barrel and Krispy Kreme, of course! Yep, I love America...AND doughnuts.


The New Colossus by Emma Lazarus

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset fates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.

"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Stumble Upon Toolbar

10 comments:

  1. Great poem, and Congratulations to your MIL!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Judy! Perfect poem for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. MMmmmmmm-donuts!

    Congrats to your step-mom-in-law. (That's a mouthful, especially while chomping on donuts!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats to hubby's step mom. An amazing accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful poem and CONGRATS to your mom in law! Much success Judy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh what a wonderful time. I need to get my butt into gear and get my citizenship.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i have am article dated 1911 when my wife's granddad got his citizenship papers in tooele utah, and it is so interesting to learn about this italian

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations, Judy!
    There is just something special about living in a country that other people aspire to be a part of, isn't there?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats to your hub's step-mom. What a wonderful day it must have been... donuts and all!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!