Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Reuben Casserole

Nothing says Ireland like potatoes, corned beef, and cabbage. I fixed a Reuben Casserole yesterday for our St. Patrick's day dinner and it turned out great. Well, maybe it was a little runny because I might not have let the potatoes absorb all the liquid and maybe I didn't squeeze out the sauerkraut as much as I was supposed to but as far as you know, internet, it turned out great. As a matter of fact, everyone ate 2 helpings, put away their own dishes, gave me flowers and chocolate, and picked up their shoes from the living room. As far you know.



3 cups hot water
1 cup milk
1/4 cup butter
1 TBS mustard
1 box roasted garlic mashed potatoes
6 oz. sliced corned beef, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 can (14.5 oz) sauerkraut, rinsed well and drained (next time I might use more)
2 cups (8 oz) shredded swiss cheese ( I used sliced)
1 TBS caraway seed, optional (I didn't use any)


Heat hot water, milk, and butter to a rapid boil in saucepan; remove from heat. Stir in mustard. Stir in 2 pouches of potatoes just until moistened. Let stand about 1 minute or until liquid is absorbed. Whip with a fork until smooth.


Spread 1 1/2 cups of potatoes in a greased square baking dish ( I used a lasagna dish). Top with corned beef. Spread sauerkraut over corned beef. Spoon remaining potatoes over top; spread gently. Top with cheese and caraway seed.


Bake uncovered about 20 minutes or until cheese is golden brown. I bet this would be delicious with warm, buttered rye bread.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

  1. Another great mouthwatering looking meal! I really need to take the time to try this one out, because I am at least 1/4 Irish.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!