Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Hillary Clinton's Chocolate Chip Cookies



Remember 1992? End of the Road by Boys II Men was #1 on the radio, Aladdin was the top grossing movie of the year, Jay Leno replaced Johnny Carson as host of the Tonight Show, and a little show called The Real World made its debut. It was also the year I moved away to college and had pancakes for dinner every night. But let's not dwell on that.

1992 was also the year that Hillary Clinton (in)famously said, "I've done the best I can to lead my life. I suppose I could have stayed home and baked cookies and had teas." Well, the Republicans jumped on that quote like me on a pancake and accused her of belittling stay-at-home-moms. So in order to make amends, Hillary agreed to a chocolate chip cookie bake off between her and Barbara Bush. And, unlike her bid for the democratic presidential nomination, Hillary won. Here's her winning recipe:

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup shortening
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs
2 cups rolled oats
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray baking sheets lightly with cooking spray.
Combine flour, salt and baking soda and set aside.
Beat together shortening, sugars and vanilla in large bowl with electric mixer until creamy.
Add eggs and beat until light and fluffy.
Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in oats and then chocolate chips.
Drop batter by rounded teaspoonfuls onto baking sheets. Bake for 8-10 minutes or till golden. Cool cookies on sheets for 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.

VERDICT: We loved them! Although they were thin, they were very chewy and ooey and gooey. I left out the oats because I didn't have any on hand. The next time I make these I probably won't add any either. Very yummy and dare I say, better than the peanut butter chocolate chip cookies I posted a few weeks ago!
Edited to add: The next time I made these, I used half butter and half shortening. Much better!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

8 comments:

  1. They sound yummy, I will have to try these out this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love chocolate chip cookies. I didn't know that she had a bake off. The "to stay at home or not" topic is a touchy subject and no matter what you chose someone will disagree w/ your decision. I just started working at home and prior to that when I said I stay home I would get "Must be nice!" Love your blog and love when you stop by mine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd rather have her cookie recipe than have her as my pres. ;)

    The beginning of your post took me back to my senior year of high school. "A Whole New World" was our prom theme song. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. If they taste half as good as the picture looks, well, all I can say is yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I LOVE CCC, they are my absolute fav.....especially when fresh and warm out of the oven!
    I am going to try her recipe next time I am in the baking mood.

    And I so remember all the things you put from 1992....::sigh:: I am getting old I guess. lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hillary can bake?!!! What a shock.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha! Your post had me cracking up. *Sign... 1992 presidential bake off? I say we bring that back between McCain and Obama! Would that be so wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  8. These sound yummy. I love chocolate chip cookies, and I love oatmeal cookies...so the combo would be great!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!