Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Blackberry Brulee

What's better than creme brulee? Creme brulee with fruit!



Our house is surrounded by blackberry bushes. As the berries began to ripen, I wondered what I could do with them this year. Blackberry cobbler? Naw, yummy but too...predictable. Pan Roasted Venison With Crushed Blackberry-Ancho Chile Sauce & Sweet Potato-Toasted Pine Nut Polenta? Um....no. I'll leave that to Bobby Flay. I need something that's easy and inexpensive. Something like Blackberry Brulee!

Although picking blackberries can be a little bothersome, the chiggers and thorns are totally worth it when you taste this sweet fruit combined with rich, creamy, warm, vanilla custard.

Blackberry Brulee (recipe from Betty Crocker)
1 cup blackberries
1/3 cup sugar
2 TBS cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups half-and-half
1/2 tsp vanilla
4 tsp packed brown sugar

Place blackberries evenly in bottom of four 10-ounce ramekins.
Mix sugar, cornstarch and salt in 2-quart saucepan. Stir in half-and-half. Heat to boiling over medium heat, stirring frequently, until thick. Stir in vanilla. Spoon over blackberries. Sprinkly 1 tsp brown sugar over mixture in each ramekin. Broil a few minutes or just until brown sugar is melted.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

7 comments:

  1. Another great recipe to try. My hubby's family have a blackberry farm so I may try this with blackberries. I'll let you know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm such an idiot LOL, of course you know how it turns out you used blackberries. I have no idea why I was thinking blueberries. It's been one of those days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. MMmm! We pick 'em every year in August up at my mom's, and then we make jam, put them on ice cream and bake them in lots of good things. (Cobblers my fave!) But this recipe is totally unique! Looks like we've got a new one to try this year. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I love Creme Brulee!! This sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm I love Creme Brulee...I am definitely going to try this one!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh dear...
    What have you done to me now!
    O.K. Another reason to exercise even harder, but it looks worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bet that tastes as good as it looks! can I come up to your place to pick some of your blackberries? Give my grandsons a big hug for me too! Did they help you pick them? I loved going blackberrying with my Mum.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!